Don't miss out on FREE member's only offers, special discounts, and breaking news!

Enter your email address below. We'll never rent or sell your information to anyone.

EVOLENCE

EVOLENCE dermal filler replaces the collagen you've lost over time with a natural collagen that lasts 6-12 months, with little or no bruising, swelling, or redness. No skin test required.

LATISSE EYELASH ENHANCEMENT

LATISSE grows your very own longer, fuller, darker eyelashes. LATISSE is the first and only prescription treatment approved by the FDA for inadequate or insufficient eyelashes.

SKINCEUTICALS A.G.E. INTERRUPTER

Formulated for mature skin to prevent visible signs of aging such as sagging, cracking, and thinning skin.

SAVE $15 OFF LATISSE with your BOTOX Cosmetic treatment (min 25 units).

Save 50% off Hydrating B5 Gel when purchased with CE Ferulic or Phloretin CF in the Award Winning Essentials value set

FREE Daily Defense SPF20 Sunscreen with any Skinceuticals purchase of $150 or more

Receive a $50 rebate per EVOLENCE syringe (up to $150 rebate per treatment)

Receive a $100 rebate on two 1-mL syringes of RESTYLANE or PERLANE

Old October 14th, 2006, 02:45 PM

Unhappy Numbness After Facelift

How could I have known so much about facelifts before I had the procedure, and yet had no idea of the post-op numbess issue. I am in week 9 after brow/face/eyes/neck. From the top of my head down and around both ears and under my chin (don't forget forehead), I am numb! Some days are worse than others. I have tried accupuncture, ultrasound, lymph drainage therapy, light massage, warm compresses, hypericum, anything to even give me a remote sense that there is any healing going on. How do people live with this? I would go back to my old ugly but healthy face in one minute if I could and spend the $10,000 to either help the poor or a new wardrobe...Does anyone have a similar story? Are the odds in my favor at least that this will go away? Sometimes I am very very low...
Old October 15th, 2006, 10:34 AM

Smile Stay Positive

You have had a tremendous amount of surgery at one time, and nine weeks is not enough time to heal. What has your surgeon told you with respect to the numbness? I had all the procedures you had at one time except for the brow lift. Did you have an endoscopic brow lift? It took approximately four months for the swelling and the black & blue to disappear in order for me to go out and feel comfortable, and even then I was still a little swollen. Everyone heals differently and I really have empathy for you, but do not get down. If you have any questions for me, please don't hesitate to ask.
Old October 15th, 2006, 01:10 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoldgold View Post
How could I have known so much about facelifts before I had the procedure, and yet had no idea of the post-op numbess issue. I am in week 9 after brow/face/eyes/neck. From the top of my head down and around both ears and under my chin (don't forget forehead), I am numb! Some days are worse than others. I have tried accupuncture, ultrasound, lymph drainage therapy, light massage, warm compresses, hypericum, anything to even give me a remote sense that there is any healing going on. How do people live with this? I would go back to my old ugly but healthy face in one minute if I could and spend the $10,000 to either help the poor or a new wardrobe...Does anyone have a similar story? Are the odds in my favor at least that this will go away? Sometimes I am very very low...
9 weeks is so soon to expect to be healed. I was numb for months and I would rather have the numbness than to have had a lot of pain. Most all the nerves are severed when you have face lift and it takes time for those to reconnect. I'm at seven months now, all the numbness is gone and ever now and then I get a twinge when another nerve connects. I had been warned that it would be months before I began to feel normal and that sure was the case. However, I'm very happy with the results and would do it all over again in minute if I had to. You can see the first 12 weeks and one 7 month post op of me at my personal webiste
http://bobsplace.us.

Please hang in there. It gets better, it really does.
Old October 15th, 2006, 07:08 PM

Red face Numbness after Facelift

You are both so kind to come to the aid of a stranger. I see my doctor this week and he will tell me to let nature take its course. Did you find any kind of therapy that helped speed up the process or ease it up a litttle? Other than numb, my faceflift was total success. I was ready for my closeup within three weeks: no bruising, to remarkable swelling; everything fine except for the numbing. Thanks so much, and I will fee free to contact you if questions or problems arise. Best regards to you.

Evelyn
Old October 16th, 2006, 03:22 PM

Thumbs up

Evelyn,

From everything I've read it may take a while, but the numbness does go away. It sounds like your surgery was a success, and you really did heal quickly. I didn't seek any additional therapy to aid in the healing process. I consider myself lucky, I was able to stay home and hide as long as I had to after my surgery. Stay positive, and God bless you.

Paige
Old October 16th, 2006, 08:09 PM

Poster Child

Bob, you are the poster child of all facelift before and after pictures. Congratulations on such a great transformation. I thought I would die when people told me it could take months for the numbness to go away, but now I am trying to think positively to get through this. The strange part is that I am not swollen and you cannot tell from looking at me that there is anything wrong, so as much as I complain, nobody responds...Thanks for your support. Paige, you should look at Bob's website. And thank you, too. I'm retired so can stay home, too, and many are the days when I don't even get out of bed!!
Old October 17th, 2006, 09:10 AM

You had a lot of surgery! And not that long ago! I had just the F/L and chin lipo almost a year ago and still have some numbness under my chin and neck as well as tighness, but I would still trade it any day for my "before".

Hang in there, time will pass, but it WILL take time, up to year even. As long as you are not in pain, it will be easier to deal with, right?

Try to find things to do to take you mind off these uncomfortable feelings. You will get past it in time.

It's sounds like you may be suffering from depression, is it possible to talk to your Dr. and maybe get a script for some meds for at least a while to help with this? It could do a world of good. This is common after PS and affects some worse than others. Not wanting to get out of bed is a strong indication of depression. The surgery could have triggered it.
Old October 17th, 2006, 10:18 PM

Thanks so much for your concern. In fact, I did see my MD this week, and got some anti-depressants and some anti-anxiety pills, and a little this and a little that. I guess I was so hoping that it would be simpler than this.

Today I noticed that I can close my eyes better, so I look upon that as progress, although, as you know, it changes day by day. I just don't want to be numb forever! I have a feeling that it will get better, though. I see my PS this week, and he's been pretty right on with me so far. Does it go away gradually, or do you just wake up one day and it is gone?

Is it pretty common? From some of the issues that some people are dealing with, numbness can be the least of the problems, so I am aware of that and grateful...

Thanks again for your kind words.

Evelyn
Old October 18th, 2006, 07:21 AM

Evelyn, It will be gradual, at least that's the way it is from all I hear and was with me.

And yes, it's not only common, it's nearly always the norm. So please, don't feel alone with this numbness thing.

I remember at first mine was so awful, I didn't even want to put makeup on, or wash my face, it felt so strange to touch, it felt wooden and "dead". I know that feeling.

Truly, it will go away in time.
Old October 20th, 2006, 09:54 PM

Saw my Plastic Surgeon yesterday, and he told me to just try to forget about my face and get on with my life. I tried to do that today, but failed miserably. My numbness also involves a lot of pressure (it feels like I am wearing a heavy helmet, like an old Roman warrior),from top of head to down around my ears and under my chin and my throat. Does that sound quite right, too? I feel that I am such a whiner, but this is kind of blowing my mind...I don't have much tolerance for discomfort (none for pain), so I am probably taking this worse than most do. Thanks for any kind words...
Old October 29th, 2006, 09:49 PM

hang in there

I agree with the others, you have had alot of surgery.

It can take up to a year to get all of your sensation back.

Try not to focus on it to much, its like watching paint dry

You will be fine

Val
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:24 AM

Numbness after facelift

I had mid facelift (cheeks and jowls, no eyes or brow) 12 days ago. The sides of my face near my ears are numb all the way down and totally including the whole of my neck to the collar bone!! I feel as if I have an invisible band under my chin pulled really tightly and filled with crushed glass. I feel as if I am wearing a tight chain mail hood like the knights of old. I knew I would be numb but I thought after a few weeks it would disappear. Now I read from the forum this horrible feeling could last a year!! I can't imagine coping with this awful sensation for that long! I must admit I'm pleased with the way I look although once all the swelling has completely gone, some lines will reappear, but I'm prepared for that. But this numbness....how do you cope with that????????
Old November 1st, 2006, 02:10 AM

Rhytidectomy, commonly known as a facelift, is a surgical procedure that is performed to remove the most conspicuous signs of aging from the face and neck. Aging is an inevitable process. As the time passes, the skin of the face and neck loses its elasticity. Fine lines on the forehead become deep creases, crow's feet develop at the corners of the eyes, wrinkles appear between the nose and mouth, the jawline slackens, and folds appear around the neck. The pull of gravity, exposure to the sun, heredity, personal habits, tension and anxiety are some factors that accelerate the process of aging of the face. Although rhytidectomy cannot stop the aging process, it can certainly set the clock back by restoring the youthful appearance to a certain extent.

read more ...
Old November 1st, 2006, 04:58 AM

Thanks for that, Skinglow but it really doesn't help to read the article and find "complete recovery normally takes two the three weeks" and that numbness described as "a complication".
Physically I am absolutely fine after 12 days, but am nowhere near completely recovered in terms of tightness, numbness and some soreness around the wounds sites.
Surely numbness is quite normal, or are you trying to frighten people, Skinglow?
I was expecting numbness, tightness but did not quite anticipate this to last for several months to a year which others on this site have experienced.
I would just like to ask other 'faceliftees' how they have coped long term with the discomfort? Any recommended creams? Or is it a case of put up and shut up??
Old November 1st, 2006, 06:10 AM

Just trying to be helpful.
I think more info is better.
Don't mean to frighten you